.

Monday, March 10, 2014

DIY Skirt Inspired By Dolce & Gabbana + Pattern Review of Burda 6955



Hi Darlings!

I hope you all had an enjoyable weekend. I was able to spend time at the mall with my 16 year old, Lexi. We had such a good time trying on shoes, eating junk and laughing; it's always so much fun to hang out with the girls because the amount of words they manage to squeeze into a day of chatting is astounding. I literally don't have to say a single word the entire time and just listen as they share every detail of every moment with me, and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Todays DIY skirt is inspired by a Dolce & Gabbana skirt I saw Jennifer Hudson wearing. I don't have any issues with the pricing of designer garbs. I understand the business and what goes into each design, etc. but I figured since I did not have $995 to drop on a trumpet skirt by D&G, although it is made of finespun silk, I decided I would make a version of the skirt myself.

Mine is made of a textured cotton/poly blend that has about 2% stretch and can be found HERE. If you are not into polka dots maybe you would love the houndstooth, squares and other fabrics in the Harmony Collection.

DIY Skirt Pattern HERE / Other Options (above) My Fabric HERE / F21 Cropped Top / Steve Madden "Belden" (old)


Pattern Description: Misses Skirts Burda 6955 

Pattern Sizing: I cut size 6

Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done with it? Yes

Were the instructions easy to follow? Yes, they are pretty clear. It came together pretty quick.

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern? I had been meaning to make this pattern and seeing Jennifer's skirt and realizing I had a fabric in my stash that was perfect just worked out great.

Fabric Used: Textured Knit HERE also available in Navy

Pattern alterations or any design changes you made: I did not make any changes to the pattern itself but I did make a change to the style by adding a waistband. Honestly Burda patterns are pretty good when it comes to fitting. I rarely have to make a lot of fitting adjustments to Burda. 

Would you sew it again? Not sure if I need another but it is certainly a great skirt pattern.

Would you recommend it to others? Yes












30 comments:

  1. cute shape for a skirt! and i like that the fabric has some stretch. great outfit/look in general!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are totally awesome! You have really inspired me to wear different things. We are the same shape and if you can do it, so can I! You look amazing! Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG Mimi! I want your entire wardrobe/inventory! #fab to the 10th power!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I 3rd that! Checking this site every day to see what's new.. #LovingIt

      Delete
  4. Great and wonderful looking outfit. Very professional.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice! I like the shape. Love the outfit.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I saw this on Jhud as well. Your version is very cute as well.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The link for the pattern seems to be for a petite person. Do you have the link for a plus size pattern? I have been looking for one and I am unable to find it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The link for the pattern seems to be for a petite person. Do you have the link for a plus size pattern? I have been looking for one and I am unable to find it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very nice! How did I miss that pattern? I have recently become a big fan of Burda patterns because I have also found that I don't need to make too many adjustments to their patterns and I am the opposite of you in body type - I'm tall with no curves ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I recently found your blog a few months ago and you have truly inspired me to sew again. I am such a fan of polka dots - I mean I am really, really, a fan of POLKA DOTS and this skirt is the truth! Wonderful job as always. I'm going to purchase some of the fabric but I think I'm going to try cuff shorts. The fabric seems to have a bit of thickness to it.....does it?

    ReplyDelete
  11. You are truly blessed Mimi, not every parent can say that.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love this skirt...It's awesome! I need to get on the stick and make this skirt. Thanks Mimi!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love the skirt and that was the perfect fabric choice.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I think you did make one change (which I really like) - you added a waistband. The original pattern does not have a waistband.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Gorge skirt ..... U look stunning

    ReplyDelete
  16. Its cute wish it came in plus size

    ReplyDelete
  17. You look gorgeous, I love the skirt
    http://princessaudu.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  18. OMG.... I need this skirt like yesterday!!! Are you taking orders?

    ReplyDelete
  19. This skirt really compliments your shape. I like the idea of knocking off designer details! I have recently restarted blog reading and really enjoy your reviews.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Love the look MiMi!
    This might seem like a silly question, but what kind of material do would you use for the lining?
    A poly lining wouldn't give as much with a knit.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Ur shape is da bomb

    ReplyDelete
  22. Looks better than the original

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking time to comment ;-)

xoxo
mimi g.